Voice Narration Troubleshooting
updated 11 months ago
"Access to your recording device is being blocked, please check system settings."
while using voice narration, this is due to permissions being blocked on your browser, your headset not being properly plugged in or not being properly recognized on your machine.
You must allow your browser to access your microphone and speakers before being able to record voice narration. Please do the following to ensure that your permissions are enabled properly:
- Make sure you click “Allow” at the top of your screen to allow Simplebooklet to access your microphone.
Please also make sure your microphone permissions are properly enabled.
- Make sure your headset is plugged in and that you are able to hear other sounds on your computer.
Advanced Microphone Permissions Troubleshooting
In case the above did not fix your issue:
- Make sure that Google Chrome is accessing the right microphone (i.e. USB vs. built in mic) on your computer.
To do this:
- Open the Google Chrome Settings page:
- Type in 'Microphone' on the 'Search settings' box at the top right corner and click 'Content settings...':
- Under the "Microphone" section, choose the microphone device you would like to use from the dropdown menu and click "Done". Google Chrome will now access the microphone you selected by default:
To learn how to put narration on a page, see here: https://docs.simplebooklet.com/article/94-page-narration
Exclusive Microphone Access
- Verify that you are not giving exclusive microphone access to another application like Skype:
- Unplug your headset from your computer.
- Quit Skype and close Talkdesk.
- Plug your headset back into your computer.
- Open Talkdesk and log in.
Windows Audio Settings
- If this solves the problem, and you are using Windows, you must adjust your computer settings to prevent this from happening again.
- Open your “File Explorer” and click on “Control Panel”. Then click on “Hardware and Sound” and then click on “Sound”.
- Click on the “Recording” tab and then select your microphone (i.e. “Headset mic”, “Internal mic”, etc.) and click "Properties".
- Click the "Advanced" tab. Click on the check mark in the box next to "Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device" to remove the check mark from the box. Then click "Apply".
- Access your sound settings from your control panel. The location of this setting varies depending on your Windows version:
Mac Audio Settings
- If your computer is running a Mac OS, check to make sure your headsets are compatible with Apple products. Macs actually use a different type of microphone input technology than other types of operating systems. This means even if you are using a headset with a built-in microphone, your Mac may not detect it, and instead use the computer’s internal microphone. An easy way to check if your headset is Mac-compatible is to plug them in and go to System Preferences → Sound → Input tab. If your computer is picking up the microphone from your headset, it should read “External Microphone”:
WIX Plugin Issues
You cannot record narration from within the WIX Simplebooklet plugin. You need to log in directly on the Simplebooklet website to do page narration.